Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Cosmic Connection

The whole Blog Universe is such an interesting place and an interesting community. Friendships via ethernet cable are every bit as meaningful and real as ones nurtured in person. I have made many, many friends through writing Poppyprint and reading blogs and flickr and now Instagram. When friends ask for help, or a favour, I try to oblige because I know the day will come when they'll happily return it.

Back in the fall I got lucky when two such requests came in almost simultaneously: a pattern test and a fabric test.  Tracey asked me if I would test her amazing new Cosmic pattern and Lynne asked if I would like to try Oakshott's new Lipari cottons (shot with black for a lux luminescence) and share the results on my blog.  I had been staring at the beautiful fat eight stack of Lipari's sent my way, wondering what to do with them when Tracey's request came in.

Lipari - Fat 8ths Pack

Lightbulb moment: a Lipari Cosmic block! Finding the right background fabric from my stash to surround that star was tricky. The Lipari's are so rich and vibrant, flat cotton solid would not do. Only this black tone on tone batik seemed up for the task.  You can see by the rotary cutter that this block is a behemoth, measuring about 28" square. This quilt design fits in perfectly with the popular craze of giant one-block quilts. Tracey's design was inspired by a vintage scarf and she worked up the pattern with EQ.

Traceyjay's Cosmic pattern - by Poppyprint

Now the quilting. I'm afraid my FMQing skills are rather rusty. I used to FMQ with abandon years ago, but I've been straight-lining it lately.  I just couldn't see laying down a bunch of straight lines of one colour thread all over this star. No, I was envisioning a more traditional, formal quilting treatment. In a continuation of sharing the blogland love and asking for help, I turned to fellow VMQG member and friend Janet. She is amazing at quilting feathers and that's what I wanted on this wallhanging. Lucky me, she agreed to do a trade and is now working her magic on my Cosmic star (and don't worry, I'm enrolled in an advanced FMQ workshop in two week's time to kick start my mojo and get back in the swing. I want to FMQ my current scrap quilt - it's the perfect pattern to hide a rusty quilter's work!).

Tracey's excellent instructions and templates made this a surprisingly quick make. Even though it looks potentially complicated, the star sews together without y-seams. Just standard piecing! Tracey  now has plexi-glass template sets available to help with cutting out and pre-trimming the triangular corners to make it even easier. I know that a full-size 88" quilt of this pattern is in my future (and I just ordered a set of templates to help with that. Bonus is that Tracey is working on a second pattern for the same templates!).  

"Cosmic" Quilt
Shame I don't have a massive piece of farm equipment for a photo shoot! 
This really gives you an idea of the scale of this quilt.

So there you have it, the Cosmic Connection that brought 4 bloggers together over one 28" square wallhanging. That's happy-making for me.

Disclosure: I'm not making money here people, but Oakshott supplied the fabric & Tracey supplied the block pattern. I bought the templates to support my friend because I think she's a fantastic quilt designer and her patterns are incredibly detailed and well-written. 

29 comments:

Heather D. said...

Awesome. Love your colourful block! The blog universe is a wonderful place. I know you've helped me out in the past, and I've payed it forward and back with many other bloggers too. :)

Dianne said...

That is one lovely behemoth Krista!
;0)

Katy Cameron said...

Love those fabrics, they really make that block shine

Di said...

Great pattern that looks very luminous in the oakshott. Di

Katie B said...

Really sweet! Love Tracey's pattern.

West Side of Straight said...

Your block turned out beautiful! Love it!

Kathy P said...

Oh my gosh - that block is beyond words, Krista! Tracy's quilt is fabulous too, but I'm in love with your Oakshot version!!!

CitricSugar said...

You have to love it when a plan comes together like it was always meant to…!

Gorgeous interpretation of the block, Krista - it really changes the look dramatically and shows people that there's always more than one possibility for any given pattern.

Jo Ann said...

fantastic! I signed up for the class too!

Tracey Jacobsen said...

I LOVE how you used these fabrics here too! And thank you for the help and the really sweet write-up! And for buying a template set!

Can't wait to see it all quilted up! (and I must add -- your points and corners look really good!)

dutchcomfort said...

Love your Lipari block!!

Danielle said...

Wow! Tracey's pattern really caught my eye when I saw it for the first time the other day. It's gorgeous, and looks amazing in Oakshotts! xx

Goldogmom said...

Wow, that is a great block and I love the idea of a large quilt made of these big blocks.
And the connections we make ARE amazing. I've learned so much and been inspired to stretch myself.

Michelle

verykerryberry said...

A match made in heaven! Looks wonderful

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Karma xxx

Candy said...

so can we get the pattern/templates somewhere? Link??? Candy

Gene Black said...

Ooh, I love it

Kara {me and elna} said...

Beautiful, Krista!!! I too love the internet for its friend making capabilities. :) xo

Elsa said...

Love the block, fabric and how everyone got together ~ the internet has really made it wonderful for people of like minds to connect in the creative community. I like that a lot. The quilt is really awesome too. Love these big block quilts.

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

The shot cottons look ever so delicious! My experience with shot cottons is that they are a bit flimsy to work with, but maybe these were made for quilting. What is your experience?

Leanne said...

That is a lovely block for the Liparis. it would also make an interesting start to a medallion quilt. I look forward to seeing it quilted.

Andrea C said...

Beautiful fabric, beautiful block. Gosh I'm getting some ideas for my stash.

Angela said...

I love how this blog post talks about some of my very favorite people in the blogging world. Of course when you all get together something wonderful is created! What a fabulous version of Tracey's block.

♥Duff said...

Lightbulb moment= awesomeness in action! I bet that block is a visual treat in person with all the black running through it. I like seeing Tracey's design in a whole new way--you're right, that just shows how versatile her patterns are!

karen said...

your block looks very elegant and sophisticated - a real wow!

Mitzi said...

Your block is absolutely gorgeous! Love it!

Sandi said...

It looks fabulous Krista!
Sandi

Canadian Abroad said...

Had to come back to this post as my iPad won't let me comment on your blog for some reason. Stupid iPad! Love this block totally. You have just made the best use of those Oakshott fabrics to show them off to their best.

Live a Colorful Life said...

Gorgeous block with your Oakshotts! I'm very tempted to buy this pattern now and the templates for sure!